Reforest Fest Friends Weekend
23 – 25 March 2018
Welcome to the forest.
Each March, we bring people together to (re)connect with nature, plant over 5000 trees and party under the stars…
Arrive Friday evening, pitch your tent and relax into a chilled night of gentle tunes under the ancient indigenous forest canopy. Enjoy delicious food and start bonding with awesome new friends around the campfire. Awake early on Saturday for an action-packed day of planting 5000 trees; you will help to restore an ecosystem that is one of the most rare and endangered in the Western Cape. After planting thousands of trees in your teams, return to camp for a good shower and a forest party – complete with amazing live bands – to celebrate your achievement. Sunday is a day to relax your body and stimulate your mind with fun, educational activities and workshops including guided forest walks, yoga, hula hooping and guest talks on sustainability topics.
The Platbos Forest Reserve is located only 2.5 hours from Cape Town and food from amazing food trucks, tents (to rent) and beautiful ablution facilities are all available on site. So, why not unplug join us for a weekend of fun in the forest?
Need more details?
- Adult Ticket – Phase 1 (available until 31 August): R350
- Adult Ticket – Phase 2 (available until 30 November): R425
- Adult Ticket – Phase 3 (available until sold out): R525
- Child Ticket (4-12 years old): R220
- Toddler Ticket (under 4 years old): Free
Camping: Bring your own tent and camp in our general campsite. Please follow instructions of the welcoming team. No parking at tents and no dogs are allowed in the forest.
Camper Van Area:
- Allowed in this area: camper vans, caravans (including tow vehicle), motor homes, trailer tents (including tow vehicle), roof top tents (including vehicle – must be permanent or semi permanent fixtures to the vehicle).
- NOTE: The above MUST be able to comfortably fit into the 7 x 5m area allocated. Greenpop reserves the right to exclude any of the above if it does not meet the required and generally accepted standards of what defines each of the above mentioned.
- NOT ALLOWED IN THE CAMPERVAN AREA:
- Cars (including with mattresses)
- Bakkies (including with mattresses)
- Combis (including with mattresses and/or tents placed on the roof)
- Trucks (including with mattresses and/or tents placed on the roof or flatbed.)
Other Accommodation: If you don’t want to camp (although we highly recommend camping – the ancient forest is so beautiful), we recommend the following places:
- Platbos (Bush Buck Suite, Old Olive Cabin): http://ww.platbos.co.za
- Uylenvlei Retreat: http://www.uylenvlei-retreat.co.za/
- Grootbos: http://www.grootbos.com/
- Bodhi Khaya: http://www.bodhi-khaya.co.za/accommodation
- Witkrans: http://www.witkrans.com/accommodation.php
- Farm 215: http://farm215.co.za/
- Fountainbush Cottage: http://www.gansbaai.com/fountainbush-cottage/
- De Uijlenes: http://www.deuijlenes.co.za/
NB. When booking, remember to tell them that you are attending the Greenpop Reforest Fest and that they should give you a price excluding breakfast as we have food stalls selling amazing breakfasts up at the forest
Meals: This year MEALS ARE NOT INCLUDED in your festival ticket and self-catering facilities are NOT available. As the festival goer you will have the following options for meals:
Buy meals at the festival:
- Meal prices are between R25-R40 Breakfast, R40-60 Lunch, R50-R80 Dinner
- There will be a variety of food trucks selling tasty vegetarian (and vegan friendly) breakfast, lunch and dinner options at our usual breakfast, lunch and dinner times.
- There will be plenty of kid-friendly food available.
- We cannot allow individual open flames in the forest for fire safety reasons (NB!). Small gas stoves are permissible but even these flames will need to be small and contained so please be careful. We’d like to encourage participants to rather buy from the food vendors or, if you’d like to bring your own food, bring mostly raw or pre-prepared food in a cooler box and equipment to serve it. We will also provide boiling water at all times.
- Please note that there will be NO self catering facilities at this festival and the nearest shop is quite a drive away. We have made sure that the food available is of the tastiest and best quality and served with a smile.
- Payment method: Cash is king or Snapscan (no ATM or card facilities on site)
- Please wash your cutlery and plates at the washing stations that will be set up.
- Bring your own cutlery and crockery (knife, fork, spoon, bowl, plate, cup, dishcloth). These will not be provided by any of the stalls (NB).
- We provide some snacks as well during the planting day, but do bring extra snacks to share around the campfire or on the planting field. Please avoid over-packaged snacks – bring big bags and share 🙂
- Drinking water: there will be water for washing and there is drinking water that is sourced from the dam above the forest, but if you have a sensitive tummy then please bring your own drinking water (2L per day per person should be fine). We encourage you to fill bottles with tap water from home rather than buying bottled water.
- Other drinks: there will be a bar selling alcoholic drinks and juices, so bring extra cash. You are also welcome to bring your own drinks.
- Coffee & tea: you can enjoy delicious tea and coffee from our vendors, so make sure to have some cash on you.
Platbos forest is an easy 2.5 hour drive from Cape Town. If you are travelling in a car, please try to carpool if you can. Our partners Find a Lift have a great carpooling site where you can find travel buddies and rides if you need.
ALTERNATIVE DRIVING ROUTE below as the usual dirt road we use is not in good condition this year. Please follow these directions:
- From Cape Town, drive to Hermanus.
- Drive through Hermanus town on the R43 towards Stanford.
- Drive past Stanford town and continue straight to Gansbaai.
- DO NOT take the Grootbos turn off (this was the route in previous years). This is where the dirt road is not great this year.
- Drive THROUGH Gansbaai town.
- Continue straight (you will pass a little village called Franskraal)
- At a place called Johnnys Rocket Party Pub turn left towards Elim (look out for the sign).
- Drive for approximately 7km up and over a small mountain and then there will be a turn-off on your left as you descend the hill. This is a dirt road and there will be a big sign for De Uijlenes. Turn left here and look out for our flags and signs for the Reforest Fest.
- You will then be on the Platbos dirt road and enter from the other direction. Thus Platbos FESTIVAL ENTRANCE will be on LEFT before the real Platbos forest entrance. If you see the Platbos forest entrance sign, turn around and go a bit back and enter where there is a small farm gate. We will have big flags to mark the entrance.
- Drive up the fire break and you will see us towards the top.
- Upon arrival please follow our parking guard instructions. You will park your car in the fire break before the welcome station. For safety reasons we don’t allow cars on the festival terrain anymore, so you have to walk your stuff up to the camp site.
- Please drive safely and slowly to preserve nature – you, your family and your surroundings. Arrive safe and sound!
Keen? Check out our gallery:
Want to get invites for Greenpop events?
Greenpop Foundation NPC is a registered non-profit organisation. Registration Number (NPO): 151-411 NPO.