It's a Treevolution
We envisage a world where green spaces and green living are POPular and accessible to everyone.
It all started with a simple goal: to plant 1000 trees in 1 month.
In 2010, Misha Teasdale was returning back home to Cape Town after travelling 16 countries as part of a film production crew. Although the adventure had allowed for incredible personal growth, Misha was keenly aware of the negative impact of his nomadic lifestyle on the environment.
After discussing his concerns with 9 friends over supper one night, the group resolved to come together and get their hands dirty for our planet. The goal? To plant 1000 trees during the month of September in the under-greened townships of Cape Town.
They fundraised, researched appropriate planting locations, gathered like-minded individuals and the campaign came together beautifully. After the final tree had been placed in the ground the group went back to their day jobs. But their phones didn’t stop ringing. Underfunded schools who had heard about the project were requesting trees, companies were offering their support and individuals were asking to volunteer. Misha, his partner Lauren O’Donnell and their friend Jeremy Hewitt realised that there was an ongoing need for an organisation which connects people to the planet, each other and themselves and decided to focus all of their energy on making it a reality.
And, Greenpop was born.
Today, we plant trees through urban greening and reforestation projects, spread environmental awareness, and activate people through green festivals and workshops across Southern Africa.
Today, we run two separate organisations within the Greenpop Group.
But at our hearts, we are the same.
1. We believe in (re)connecting people with our planet. We have become disconnected from nature, our beautiful planet and only home. If we (re)connect with nature and each other in meaningful ways, we believe that caring for our planet will become second nature.
2. We believe in getting active (not anxious) about the future of our planet. There are a lot of doom and gloom messages out there and it makes us stressed out, anxious and even apathetic. We believe that positivity and action are the best ways to motivate change.
3. We believe that changing the world is fun. When we give back and create value for the earth and our fellow human beings, joy is created – changing our own lives and changing the world. We’re on a mission to have fun and share this joy with as many people as possible.
1. Thrive: Be bold, bright and brilliant. From planting trees and spreading education to designing monitoring systems or communicating an inspirational message, strive to thrive, not just sustain. Aim for thrivability, believe in abundance and make real impact.
2. Collaborate: “Work in brotherhood like a forest, standing tall like a mighty tree.” Strive for confidence and focus in what you do and do it well – like a strong and grounded tree. Then, actively seek creative partnerships with other people and organisations locally and globally. We are part of a network that gains strength through collaboration and support – like a forest eco-system.
3. Be Agile: Focus on solutions, make plans and adapt to make good ideas happen. There may be a ‘right’ way to plant a tree today, but if we learn of a better way tomorrow, re-assess and try it. Be swift and well coordinated when change is needed for the better!
4. Dig it: Ours is a labour of love. When you’re passionate about what you do and you really care, your enthusiasm rubs off on others. Being part of our team means being an inspiration to others and being inspired by their triumphs – and having fun together.
5. Keep promises: Doing what we say we will do is important to us, whether it’s planting the right trees, meeting deadlines, or listening to what others have to say with an open mind. By being true to ourselves, we earn the trust of others.
6. Treat others like gold: Respect and appreciate every team member – give off warmth and support, we’re in this together! Value and be grateful for every person that engages with Greenpop. Whether it’s someone wanting to get their hands dirty at our nursery or a big potential partner, value everyone! We’re building a community, not a list of stakeholders. Initiate and nurture relationships.
7. Live it: We’re an environmental organisation thus our team are practising environmentalists. Practising does not mean perfect but do practice. Stay current in the green space, ask questions, encourage discussion, experiment, challenge yourself, each other and our community. Practice treading lightly on our planet.
8. DO great things: Don’t just talk about them. Innovate, activate and make great things happen! Now is the time for action. Have the courage to contribute. Show us your magic.
Check out stories and updates from our team partners and supporters.
We’re on a mission to reconnect people with the planet and have fun doing it. Join the team.
Greenpop Foundation NPC is a registered non-profit organisation. Registration Number (NPO): 151-411 NPO.